A Big Bang Challenge all about Noah Puckerman/Mark Salling
Author Sign-Ups | Artist Sign-Ups
Oh hi Glee fandom. :D
I'm in a bit of a situation.
You see, I'm not really a Glee fan. I've seen maybe five total episodes the whole time it's been on. I like some parts of it, but I'm not into it enough to watch. It's nothing personal, I just have a hard time getting into American High School dramas because I find it hard to relate (having never attended an American High School). Plus I've never even heard a lot of the music they do and the stuff I have heard isn't really my thing.
My problem is that last year I had a dream involving a few of the characters that got the plot bunnies all twitching and now I have a vague fic idea that I can't get rid of. I've tried taking elements of it and putting them in another story, but the original fic idea keeps coming back and I think I'm just going to have to write it to make it go away.
But having next to no idea about cannon, I'm getting stuck behind a million and one mental blocks while I wonder whether certain things are plausible etc. I don't need it to be super accurate because no-one but me is ever going to see it but I would prefer not to get things mixed up too much, so I wanted to ask you all some questions. If you could answer them generally, sticking as much as possible to established cannon rather than things which are pure fandom speculation, that would be super helpful.
I'll start with the major ones, which all involve a certain character which I have apparently fixated on.
1. So, What's Puck's deal? What's he like, what's his thought process, his outlook on life, his motivations etc? How would you describe his personality? I know the basics from his bio on wikipedia, but it didn't give me too much information on why he did the things it featured, and how he felt about them. More specifically:
2. What's his taste in music like? What are some of his favourite bands?
3. How does he feel about music/singing/performing in general? Why is he in the group? (I know why he started with the singing in the first place - about the PTA mums but that can't be why he's still there).
4. What are his exact feelings/thoughts about homosexuality, crossdressing, and queer culture in general (this isn't a slash fic, but I need to know his attitude to this) and have they changed/evolved over the course of the show?
5. I see he's apparently fallen in love with four different people over the course of the show. This got me curious because he really didn't seem the type. Is this a case of long running drama syndrome, a miss-phrasing by the wiki article, a circumstantial thing where it just happened to go that way, or would you say he is the type to fall kind of easily / overstate his feelings?
6. Who are his friends, apart from Fin?
7. What are his interests/how does he spend most of his time outside of school?
8. What are his aspirations/goals/ideas post high school?
9. What's his family/home situation like?
10. Anything else you'd like to add about him? Some popular fandom theories and interpretations of/about him? Any recs for good episodes that centre on him in some way? Or just links to youtube videos of important scenes featuring him?
11. How many in-universe years has the show spanned for, what year did it start and what age/grade were the main characters. Also what year is it in now and what age/grade are the main characters now? Are they in different grades?
12. Do the group have a band of any kind, or is all the music either performed by them or magically pulled from invisible musicians that follow them around everywhere? Is this hypothetical band they may or may not have made up of adults or random students or the school band? In essence is it plausible for a student to get a role playing piano for them but not singing? And how would that happen?
13. What's the new guy like? The one with the dreads? I watched the first episode of that competition thing and I actually wanted him to win from the beginning and then he did and I was pretty shocked, because my favourites never win competitions.
14. I'm sure I'll think of more general stuff. Am I welcome to come back with more questions later or do you totally hate me for wanting to do this without being a fan?
So, there you go. Why not take the opportunity to discuss your favourite fandom with me and really help me out in the process? Thanks in advance for all your answers :)
x posted to glee_tv to maximize information retrieval.